The Foundation of Research and Technology-Hellas (FORTH) started its operation in 1983 and is one of the largest and most well-organized, equipped and staffed research centers in the country. Its headquarters and main address are located in Heraklion, Crete.
In the fall of 2009 for the expansion of the complex, the construction of a two-storey building with a basement was started, in order to accommodate the Center of Diffuse Intelligence. It is a composite construction, covering an area of about 1550 square meters, consisting of metal beams and columns and reinforced concrete slab.
Its construction was completed in May 2012.
The time to complete the construction was limited. For this reason it was considered necessary to use a lifting machine and standard formwork. The limited surrounding space allowed only the use of hydraulic self-raised building crane (floor plan 4.50*4.50).
For the moldings of the basement walls, Doka moldings were used which are ideally adapted to the conventional formwork, which was also necessary due to the composite construction.